Two American True Originals, Disney and Shinola, Collaborate on a Mickey Mouse Capsule Collection
Shinola and Disney are pleased to announce the launch of the Mickey Classics Collection, a capsule collection that honors 90 years of Mickey Mouse. The collaboration is part of “Mickey the True Original,” a global celebration of Mickey’s heritage, personality and status as a pop-culture icon.
Since his big-screen debut in Steamboat Willie on November 18, 1928, Mickey continues to serve as the global ambassador for The Walt Disney Company. From the beloved Mickey Mouse Club to today’s Mickey Mouse cartoon shorts, the character’s optimistic outlook and endearing personality continue to delight fans around the world.
“Shinola is a company that believes in celebrating American success stories,” said Shannon Washburn, President of Shinola. “We are proud to join Disney in honoring the magic of Mickey Mouse while also commemorating the five-year anniversary of our flagship watch, the Runwell.”
Mickey Classics is a collection of limited-edition and special-edition Shinola Runwell timepieces, leather goods, audio equipment, wall clocks and journals showcasing Mickey Mouse. Five limited-edition Runwell timepieces featuring illustrations by Disney’s character artist, Jeff Shelly will be offered. Each illustration is drawn specifically for these five Shinola watches, inspired by iconic Mickey Mouse moments such as the character’s appearance in Plane Crazy and Steamboat Willie. Limited to 90 timepieces per style in honor of Mickey Mouse’s 90th Anniversary, each Runwell comes with one offive framed original sketches of Mickey Mouse, as well as a special-edition Shinola sketchbook with a “How to Draw Mickey” instructional booklet.
Additionally, both the leather Runwell backpack—which includes a hand-stitched leather appliqué of Steamboat Willie—and the leather tech portfolio are lined with a “How to Draw Mickey” illustration. The Mickey Classics journals feature a flip book that animates a scene from The Nifty Nineties (1941) created by Disney legend Fred (Freddie) Moore, whose design and animation of the spunky little star is considered seminal in Mickey’s career. The Shinola x Disney Mickey Classics collection will be available on November 16, at Shinola.com and in Shinola stores, Disney stores and select specialty retailers. Prices range from $28 for a journal to $2,500 for a Shinola Runwell Turntable.
- Crossroads of Collaboration - November 14, 2018
- C. Creations Introduces 70 NEW Designs for Infinity Fashion Show - November 13, 2018
- SYMON Wears Kamilla Purshie During Interview at The Pink Carpet Gala - November 7, 2018
- Mm-O-Dd Design Dare Challenge Highlights - November 7, 2018
- The Metropolitan Museum of Design Detroit Brings Strand to Design Dare Challenge - November 3, 2018
- Leather Meets Derby in Detroit Designer Collaboration - November 2, 2018
- Shinola and Disney Celebrate 90 Years of Mickey Mouse with the Launch of Mickey Classics Collection - November 1, 2018
- Detroit Fashion Museum Brings Illustrators and Fashion Designers Together for 2D3D Hero Design Challenge - October 30, 2018
- Albert Kriemler x Geta Brătescu: Bring Joy To Your Life! - October 27, 2018
- Naked Princess Unveils Rebrand to Le Marché by NP - October 26, 2018