Announcing the Launch of Asteya, Detroit-Based Personal Styling Platform
We are excited to announce the launch of Asteya, a new Metro Detroit business transforming the way people think about clothes. Part personal styling services and part sustainable shopping, Asteya is on a mission to reduce apparel waste.
“People are surprised to learn that the fashion industry is the second largest global polluter,” says Asteya founder Melissa Leslie. “While many designers and brands are working to reduce their environmental impact, that alone is not enough. We believe the consumer mindset has to shift as well, and so we empower women and men to do more with the 80% of their clothing they rarely wear.”
Asteya offers two services, wardrobe consultation and personal shopping. The wardrobe consultation is a 3-hour session in which stylists assess what works for the client’s body and lifestyle, and show the versatility of their existing wardrobe by creating multiple wearable looks. As a follow-up to the consultation, clients can book personal shopping services, in which a stylist will curate products from sustainable global and local Detroit brands based on their recommended shopping list.
Stylists are hand-picked professionals with extensive personal styling experience. Paulina Petkoski is a FIT-trained designer and stylist who has worked with Diane von Furstenberg, Isaac Mizrahai, and Pamela Roland. Paulina is also the co-founder of Playground Detroit and founding Style Editor of Grand Circus Magazine. Raffaella Medoro-Naurato left her career in music as a professional pianist to pursue fashion full-time when she found that fellow musicians were more interested in her personal style of dress and were constantly asking for her advice. She trained at the American College of Professional Stylists and is a full-time stylist as well as instructor at Wayne State University teaching Italian and History of Costume.
“The retail industry has changed so dramatically in the last 25 years, with fast fashion training people to expect cheap, disposable clothing. We want to show people that by investing in fewer, higher quality pieces, and thinking creatively about how to style them, they will save money in the long run, look better in their clothing, and help the environment. It’s a win-win-win.”
- Crossroads of Collaboration - November 14, 2018
- C. Creations Introduces 70 NEW Designs for Infinity Fashion Show - November 13, 2018
- SYMON Wears Kamilla Purshie During Interview at The Pink Carpet Gala - November 7, 2018
- Mm-O-Dd Design Dare Challenge Highlights - November 7, 2018
- The Metropolitan Museum of Design Detroit Brings Strand to Design Dare Challenge - November 3, 2018
- Leather Meets Derby in Detroit Designer Collaboration - November 2, 2018
- Shinola and Disney Celebrate 90 Years of Mickey Mouse with the Launch of Mickey Classics Collection - November 1, 2018
- Detroit Fashion Museum Brings Illustrators and Fashion Designers Together for 2D3D Hero Design Challenge - October 30, 2018
- Albert Kriemler x Geta Brătescu: Bring Joy To Your Life! - October 27, 2018
- Naked Princess Unveils Rebrand to Le Marché by NP - October 26, 2018