Announcing the Launch of Asteya, Detroit-Based Personal Styling Platform
We are excited to announce the launch of Asteya, a new Metro Detroit business transforming the way people think about clothes. Part personal styling services and part sustainable shopping, Asteya is on a mission to reduce apparel waste.
“People are surprised to learn that the fashion industry is the second largest global polluter,” says Asteya founder Melissa Leslie. “While many designers and brands are working to reduce their environmental impact, that alone is not enough. We believe the consumer mindset has to shift as well, and so we empower women and men to do more with the 80% of their clothing they rarely wear.”
Asteya offers two services, wardrobe consultation and personal shopping. The wardrobe consultation is a 3-hour session in which stylists assess what works for the client’s body and lifestyle, and show the versatility of their existing wardrobe by creating multiple wearable looks. As a follow-up to the consultation, clients can book personal shopping services, in which a stylist will curate products from sustainable global and local Detroit brands based on their recommended shopping list.
Stylists are hand-picked professionals with extensive personal styling experience. Paulina Petkoski is a FIT-trained designer and stylist who has worked with Diane von Furstenberg, Isaac Mizrahai, and Pamela Roland. Paulina is also the co-founder of Playground Detroit and founding Style Editor of Grand Circus Magazine. Raffaella Medoro-Naurato left her career in music as a professional pianist to pursue fashion full-time when she found that fellow musicians were more interested in her personal style of dress and were constantly asking for her advice. She trained at the American College of Professional Stylists and is a full-time stylist as well as instructor at Wayne State University teaching Italian and History of Costume.
“The retail industry has changed so dramatically in the last 25 years, with fast fashion training people to expect cheap, disposable clothing. We want to show people that by investing in fewer, higher quality pieces, and thinking creatively about how to style them, they will save money in the long run, look better in their clothing, and help the environment. It’s a win-win-win.”
- Post-Royal Wedding Commentary from On-Site Correspondent Caroline Castigliano - May 19, 2018
- From the Kentucky Derby to Fashion Massacre; Cheryl Zemke is On a Roll - May 10, 2018
- Leslie Pilling; Founder of Blank iTTI Blank, MM-O-DD and Presence II Productions - April 18, 2018
- Kerry Washington’s Neutrogena Makeup Collection is now at Ulta.com - April 17, 2018
- Michigan Fashion and Media Summit Recap - April 16, 2018
- L’Oréal and Armani Renew Beauty Partnership - April 11, 2018
- Tradesy Acquires Fitz and Announces Closet Concierge - April 10, 2018
- Michigan Fashion Media Summit Speaker Line Up - April 8, 2018
- Top Timepieces Presented at Baselworld 2018 - March 23, 2018
- Brandi Bautell: Maris Rae Handbags - March 2, 2018